Why join Beta Alpha Psi – Epsilon Alpha?
Joining Beta Alpha Psi – Epsilon Alpha provides you with numerous benefits, and membership is highly recommended to any Accounting, Finance, or Information Systems students serious about finding the right job right out of school. As a member of Beta Alpha Psi you will receive access to dozens of unique opportunities, including:
- Unprecedented networking opportunities with professionals and recruiters in and around the Portland area
- Hands on professional development opportunities designed to make you a stronger speaker, writer, worker, and leader
- Service opportunities that add real value for our members, school, city, and expanded network
- An immediate peer network of like-minded support for your time at Portland State (and beyond!)
- Lifetime membership in Beta Alpha Psi and all of the benefits provided therein.
Sound appealing? Then it’s time to get a jump-start on your future career now.
How do I apply to be a member of Beta Alpha Psi – Epsilon Alpha?
Step 1: Determine if BAP is right for you.
Joining BAP will require that you:
- Fulfill an assigned role or job with responsibilities – This is how you will elevate your professionalism and strengthen soft skills like business writing, public speaking, project management, networking, etc.
- Commit a fair amount of time to fulfilling your chapter duties and hours requirements – If you currently have less than five hours a week to devote it would be a good idea to reconsider whether joining BAP fits in your life right now
- Attend every weekly meeting (barring class / work obligations) – Meetings are held every Wednesday, from 4:15 to 5:30PM
- Complete the organization’s Initiation Requirements
If you’ve gone through the list and it doesn’t seem like BAP is for you at this time, you can still reap many of the benefits of BAP: all of our weekly meetings and recruiting events and most of our professional development workshops (public speaking, business writing, etc.), are open to the entire SBA student body. Check out our events page for up-to-date scheduling.
Finance majors should be aware that BAP recruiting events are heavily focused on accounting jobs and internships. That said, all of the professional development opportunities are the same as for accounting majors. We are also adding technical finance articles to our award-winning academic BAP Journal. This is a great opportunity for you to research a topic in-depth, sharpen your technical writing, and establish a relationship with a pro reviewer for content edits. Additionally, speakers from corporate finance and other related fields present at our weekly meetings. BAP is for you, too!
If you’ve gone through the list and it looks like BAP is simply a wonderful opportunity waiting to be seized, please proceed to…
Step 2: Fill out an application!
The application is an easy-to-use GoogleForm that you can find at the link above. Fill the application out, hit submit, and proceed to…
Step 3: Application review and the on-boarding process.
Once you have submitted your application, we review your it ensure everything checks out (GPA requirements are met, etc.). We will then be in touch and schedule an orientation to begin the on-boarding process. This may be a one-on-one interview with Kristen Palmer (our current President), Katie Conrad (our Executive Vice President), or (if an application is submitted near the end of the term) as a group orientation with all new incoming Candidates. You will be a Candidate until you have completed all the Initiation Requirements. Once those requirements have been met you’re a member for life!
Thank you for your interest in BAP at Portland State! Please direct any question you may have about membership, the above process, or the chapter itself to Kristin Palmer at firstname.lastname@example.org.